1.01.2008

Happy New You


what's good about the dawn of a new year is that it gives us an incentive to 'start again', to discard the bad habits of the previous year and to begin afresh. a survey finds that only 9% of americans are serious about achieving their goals. 51% don't have new years resolutions and of those that do, 79% don't have a plan to achieve them.

below is a list of the top 10 new years resolutions as decided by about.com.

1. spend more time with family and friends
2. fit in fitness
3. tame the bulge
4. quit smoking
5. enjoy more life
6. quit drinking
7. get out of debt
8. learn something new
9. help others
10. get organized

do any of these resolutions sound familiar? i know they do to me...and i know that i've failed in holding to them in the past. some were even broken the same day i made them. so, how can we make a resolution and actually stick to them?

i know for me i had to first be honest with myself. i had to do these things for me, and not just because others wanted me to. peer pressure can only take you so far. what you do when no one else is around is what really matters.

i know many people gave up on making new years resolutions a long time ago. perhaps because they are content with their life. perhaps because they think the idea of making a resolution is silly. or perhaps because they've lied to themselves so many times before about what they're going to change that they can't even trust themselves anymore! sound familiar?

i'm sure you're asking yourself; "okay jeff, what's your new years resolution?" well, here's mine for all to see... my new years resolution is to live a life that Jesus would be proud of...to do my best to make every action, word and thought one that He would approve of. now, i know i'm gunna slip up...alot. but i also know that His grace is enough for me. i'll simply get back up, dust myself off, and go at it again.

Philippians 3:13-14 "Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus"

so, my question to you is, "what's your resolution"?


3 comments:

Kyle Burkholder said...

our resolution is an already-written blog that you will have to wait for. preached on just this subject last week.

Jeff Reininger said...

when may i read this already-written blog???

ry@n said...

jeff,

I would have to say that my new years resolution is to stay sober for an entire year and truly seek out Gods will for my life. See where He wants me, see what He wants me to do. Earnestly seek.