1.24.2008

Day 3 of 4; Encouragement

this morning i met with my good friend for breakfast like we do every thursday morning at 6am. it was a tough morning. i didn't want to get up. my body has realized that without food, there's no energy either. so, needless to say, getting out of bed this morning was a chore. but i got up because i live for my thursday morning chats...and because i was hoping to share my fasting story with him and get some encouagement. but; like always; when you think you have things figured out, God throws you a curve ball.

when i arrived, i ordered a water and coffee and sat there waiting for him. he showed up a couple minutes later, got a couple tacos (the most amazing looking tacos ever as seen by my food starved mind) and we proceeded to chat. he asked me if i was eating, and i told him about my fast. immediately he was encouraged. we proceeded to talk about the past week, our spiritual walk, other life issues, etc. but eventually it went back to fasting. fasting for discipline, fasting for prayer, fasting for hope, fasting for direction. somehow in my goofy words, God must have spoke to my friend. he told me he was really seeking direction and a goal. he felt like life was just going by each day, but he wasn't giving it his all (who does?). he decided at that moment to fast next week and really be obidient to God and trust Him...to really listen to what God is calling him to do.

i showed up this morning seeking encouragement and instead gave out advice. only God could work things out that way. i am very encouraged...

3 comments:

ry@n said...

I am so excited about that! Keeping looking for direction and being obedient to his calling

Sara said...

Jeff,
While your body is weak in fasting, listen to what God is saying to you and how he brings the message to you.

My 2 cent fasting advice. :)

Stay broken, my friend.

--Sara

archie said...

I am excited that you are striving after the deeper things of the faith. The scripture says search after it like you would search for a lost jewel. Fasting is a good place to start the search. I will pray for God's revelation on your life. I'd hate to lose 4 days of meals and not see Christ in it. God bless. Keep the faith and continue running the race to win.