12.21.2007

There Is A Reason

do you ever have one of those days where you wake up thinking its gunna be a great day? you get up and you're eager to get to your job or school or whatever it is you have to do that day... well, that's how my day started today. it was my last day of the year at work and i was very excited about that. so, i get to work, i'm excited, things are going well, the day is flying by, i have a cool project that i'm finishing up, etc. you know that kind of day! well, the last day of the year also means that its time for a little christmas bonus...and i'm really excited about that! so, that gets handed out and it's not quite what i expected. bummer. but i decided not to let something as foolish as money get me down. i really can't complain about anything else, so why complain at all. did i mention its the last day of work for the year!!!


so, a little while later the phone rings. have you ever received one of those phone calls that will be forever engraved in your memory? you know, years from now someone will mention an event and you'll be able to recall exactly where you were at that moment. well, this was one of those phone calls. now, no worries, no one died or was hurt or anything. it was just very unexpected bad news. i assume that its simular to a phone call a parent gets from their child informing them they've just been in a car accident or something along those lines. nothing could prepare you for what you just heard. so, needless to say, my day was turning into the complete opposite of what i thought it would be.


later on in the day, i get home. i kiss katy hello and we talk about the events that have unfolded and how to proceed. i glance over at the fish bowl and notice that our fish (Jobee) isn't moving. seriously, can this be happening? sure enough, my beta fish is dead. and that literally is the straw that broke my back. for some reason i'm crying because of a dead fish that cost me $3 that lived about 9 months longer than it probably should have. that's right, i'm crying over a dead fish!


fast forward to a little later in the day. i'm driving around town taking care of a few things and buying a couple Christmas gifts...and there is heavy traffic everywhere. i'm a little stressed and trying my best to think of all the things that i've told others to comfort them in simular situations...only none of those words are comforting me. apparently i can't console myself. so, i flip on the radio and a song comes on....a song that says exactly what i needed to hear. a song that brings me to tears. a song that brings me peace and comfort. for some of you this song has probably lifted you up on your lowly days too. for others, it's probably the first time you've ever even heard of this song, or even the band for that matter. the band is Caedmon's Call...the song is There Is A Reason.


" He makes all things good

He makes all things good

There's a time to live and a time to die

A time for wonder and to wonder why

Cause there is a reason

There is a reason"



think of this song the next time your day doesn't turn out the way you planned and remember, there is a reason!

2 comments:

ry@n said...

Jeff,

First off I'm sorry! I know exactly how that is. I am not convinced that we ever are fully able to cope perfectly in situations where we hear bad news or our 3 dollar fish dies but I know there is a reason. There is a reason and a time for everything and God is amazing at showing himself through songs while we are stuck in traffic bottled with emotions and just flat out suck.
I love you and am praying for you as I write this. If there is anything I can do let me know. You and Katy mean the world to me. I love the thoughts keep it up.

Ry@n

Kyle Burkholder said...

wow. you're my hero.