2.23.2009

Obedience

lately, the word 'obedience' has been running through my head constantly. naturally, this really got me to wondering, am i being obedient to God? sure, i may give money to the church, charities or organizations, but is it given out of obligation or out of obidence. perhaps i go out of my way for someone, but again, is it due to outside pressure and forces, or due solely to my obidence to Him. why do i read the word everyday, because i'm suppose to, or because in doing so i am being obedient?

i was doing some google searching earlier on several different topics and i stumbled upon what is written below. do you agree with what it says...and if so, are you doing your best to adhere to it?

"how important is obedience to God in my daily walk?

obedience to God is very important in your Christian growth. no one in this life will ever become sufficiently sanctified to the point where they are always obeying the law, but we can honor and maintain obedience to God by pondering on, or meditating on, the words of Jesus. the term "to ponder" means to weigh in the mind, to think or reflect, especially quietly and deeply. to ponder on something is like meditation which implies a definite focusing of one's thoughts on something in order to understand it deeply. the author of Proverbs 14:15 makes a good point: "a simple man believes anything, but a prudent man gives thought to his steps."

the greatest commandment is to love God by keeping His commandments. matthew 22:36-38 says, "'teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law?' Jesus replied: 'love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' this is the first and greatest commandment.'"

you ask, "how important is obedience to God?" in the gospel of john, obedience to God is underscored time and time again. john 14:15 says, "if you love me, you will obey what i command."

the great commandments are reiterated in matthew 22:36-40 which says, "'teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law?' Jesus replied: '"love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." this is the first and greatest commandment. and the second is like it: "love your neighbor as yourself." all the law and the prophets hang on these two commandments.'"

jesus is very concerned about us and He wants us to do more than participate in good works, He wants us to believe in Him. He wants us to come up higher and be "like" Him. when we are being obedient to God, we are doing just that: knowing Him, loving Him, and having a personal, intimate relationship with Him. to do this, we must be attentive to God's laws. this is not an option, because you can't have an intimate relationship with Jesus and trample on the words He taught. being obedient to God is not the same as sticking to the speed limit because you get a fine if you disobey. obedience to God is living God's word because you want to and enjoy being filled with the love of Jesus.

we must believe in Jesus, we must have faith in Him, and we must trust Him! calling ourselves a Christian on its own won't do. following the commandments step wise won't do. reading the Bible diligently won't do. we have to take the word into our hearts. when we make the transition from calling ourselves a good Christian to being someone who is having a deep personal and intimate relationship with the Lord, then we can have the highest of joys, the deepest of peace, and receive the fullest measure of God's love and power each and every day of our lives.

we need to enter into God's rest and be less concerned with worrying about what else we could do to make Jesus love us more. hebrews 4:10 says, "for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his." it would be invaluable if you were to spend time reading God's Word and ponder on one aspect as you walk. step into the scene, imagine what it might have been like to be there, create Jesus in your mind, feel the love, and experience a deep intimate relationship with the Lord.

that is the essence of obedience to God.

8 comments:

Jay said...

For I desire mercy, not sacrifice
and acknowledgement of God rather than burnt offerings. -- Hosea 6:6

If your tithe is just a burnt offering, I believe that God doesn't want it. Obedience is important, but the motive behind it is much more important. I believe that the propper motivation is the desire to remove obstacles from growing closer to God. Learning the word of God and coming closer to him reveals ways that we are not obedient which drives us to change so that we can become closer still.

In short, I do generally agree with it.

I am driven to persue this refining for the purpose of a closer relationship with Him. Sometimes I fall on my face, but still I get up and face forward. I wish I fully understood why I wasn't so driven seven years ago.

Anonymous said...

jay,

couldn't agree more. i think my intent sometimes gets lost in my limited vocabulary. perhaps as far as tithing goes, my obedience is now seeking Him and what He has layed on my heart, raher than just tossing in the 10% and running off to the next item on my adjenda.

seven years ago! that's a great amount of time to be focused on The Source...rejoice!

-Jeff

Anonymous said...

Actually, four of those years were focused on myself. Something that I don't fully understand is why things were so different before then compared to now.

--Jay

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff - thanks for following my blog. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Your post here is very thoughtful. But I tend to think that if one is at least mindful of how he cannot live up to God's standards, though he tires harder, then at least he is on the right track with obedience. Maybe that made sense. Anyway, I look forward to reading more of what you have to say. See you later.

Jeff Reininger said...

matt, thanks for the comment. just stumbled upon your blog thanks to a friend. keep it up, enjoying it. and yes, your comment made sense. perhaps a better question that i should ask myself is how do i mind the gap between the track i'm on in terms of obedience and the one that God wants me on.

Jeff Reininger said...

jay, often they say learn from your mistakes. perhaps in this instance, its best to learn from them, but not dwell on them.

Jay said...

I guess my hope is that by understanding, I can help others.

It's not something I dwell on; it's something that was recently brought to light and is thus worthy of contemplation.

Anonymous said...

jay, sometimes those are the greatest lesssons. share with others...help them avoid the same stumbling blocks!

-Jeff