2.14.2008

Quotations

so, back in the day kyle and i came up with a pretty ingenious idea to open a bar. i mean, what better way to feed your addiction than to own it, instead of it owning you, right?! but it wasn't going to be just any bar. no, this was to be a special bar. one that people came to and stayed for hours...and spent lots of money. one that a person could show up at, not even speak to another individual and enjoy countless drinks within our 'controlled' environment. see, our bar was different. it was unique. it fed off of nostalgia, memory, knowledge and entertainment. our bar was to be named Quotations. we were to have famous (and semi-famous) quotes all over the walls... hundreds of them. there was to be classic sports and bar trivia games on tv's all over the place. great music playing all the time, but not too loud, like many bars have a tendency to do... and in between each song we would splice a famous audio clip from a movie, tv show, presidental speech or historical figure (see, our bar would be educational) butcher paper on every table with crayons and chalkboard walls in all the restrooms, so our customers could write whatever cleaver thought their drink brought to their head and make a Quotation of their own.

i think the dream of he and i opening this bar has faded, but perhaps it would make for a wonderful coffee shop. so, if anyone wants to invest in this, we would love to sell them this idea! that being said, why not still throw some Quotations out there? after all, that was the premise of the entire project. so, below are some famous (and semi-famous) quotes than may have just made the wall of our bar (or our coffee shop, investors, call me!!) feel free to comment and add your own.
"We're talking paranoid delusional psychosis. I saw the guy's room. Cozy... if you're Hannibal Lecter” – Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." –Mahatma Gandhi

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue” - Airplane

“I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.” -Jesus

“She wrote me a 'John-Deere' letter... something about me not listening enough, I don't know... I wasn't really paying attention.” -Dumb & Dumber
“You make me want to be a better man.” – Jack Nicholson (Melvin) As Good As It Gets

“Here's looking at you, kid.” -Humphrey Bogart (Rick) Casablanca
“He's a man from outer space and we're taking him to his spaceship.” -Henry Thomas (Elliott) E.T.

“And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country” – John F. Kennedy

“People will come, Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway, not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door, innocent as children, longing for the past.” - James Earl Jones (Terence) Field of Dreams

"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it." -Mahatma Gandhi

“Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.” - Mykelti Williamson (Bubba Blue) Forrest Gump

“My most fervent prayer is to be a President who can make it possible for every boy in this land to grow to manhood by loving his country--instead of dying for it.” –Lyndon Baines Johnson

“Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day accept this justice as gift on my daughter's wedding day.” - Marlon Brando (Don Corleone) Godfather
“I saw...its thoughts. I saw what they're planning to do. They're like locusts. They're moving from planet to planet...their whole civilization. After they've consumed every natural resource they move on...and we're next. Nuke 'em. Let's nuke the bastards.” - Bill Pullman (President) Independence Day

“Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.” -Lou Gehrig

“You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. Three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the twenty-ninth, nineteen-forty five. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.” - Robert Shaw (Quint) Jaws


"The future belongs to those who prepare for it today." -Malcolm X (1925 - 1965)
“Feed me, Seymour!” - Levi Stubbs (Audrey II) Little Shop of Horrors

“Cross over children! All are welcome! All welcome! Go into the Light. There is peace and serenity in the Light.” - Zelda Rubenstein (Tangina) Poltergeist

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything. " -Mark Twain (1835 – 1910)

“Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father: prepare to die.” - Mandy Patinkin (Inigo Montoya) Princess Bride

"Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul."-Marilyn Monroe (1926 – 1962)

“You're gonna eat lightnin' and you're gonna crap thunder!” - Burgess Meredith (Mickey Goldmill) Rocky

“I believe in two things: discipline and the Bible. Here you'll receive both. Put your trust in the Lord; your ass belongs to me. Welcome to Shawshank.” - Bob Gunton (Warden Samuel Norton) Shawshank Redemption

"Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love."-Martin Luther King Jr. (1929 – 1968)

“A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.” - Anthony Hopkins (Hannibal) Silence of The Lambs

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

“You were great in your day Superman, but it only stands to reason. When it came time to cash in your chips, this old "diseased" mind would be your banker.” - Gene Hackman (Lex Luthor) Superman

“Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither.” –C.S. Lewis
“The point is ladies and gentlemen that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of it's forms - greed for life, for money, knowledge - has marked the upward surge of mankind and greed - you mark my words - will not only save Teldar Paper but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you.” - Michael Douglas (Gekko) Wall Street
"Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical" -Yogi Berra (1925 - )


“Guess what, I do. I know that one day Veronica and I are gonna to get married on top of a mountain, and there's going to be flutes playing and trombones and flowers and garlands of fresh herbs. And we will dance till the sun rises. And then our children will form a family band. And we will tour the countryside and you won't be invited.” Will Ferrell (Ron Burgundy) Anchorman

"Retirement at sixty-five is ridiculous. When I was sixty-five I still had pimples." -George Burns (1896 – 1996)

“The first rule of Fight Club is - you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is - you DO NOT talk about Fight Club. Third rule of Fight Club, someone yells Stop!, goes limp, taps out, the fight is over. Fourth rule, only two guys to a fight. Fifth rule, one fight at a time, fellas. Sixth rule, no shirt, no shoes. Seventh rule, fights will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule, if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.” -Brad Pitt (
Tyler Durden) Fight Club

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." -Panch Villa (1877 - 1923), last words
“Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.” -Ron Livingston (Peter Gibbons) Office Space

“What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?” -John Cusack (Rob) High Fidelity

4 comments:

archie said...

“Feed me, Seymour!” - Levi Stubbs (Audrey II) Little Shop of Horrors

If you ranked them, this one has to be at the top.....

Anonymous said...

"Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks." - Forest Gump

One of my fav quotes of all time. So ingenious in its simplicity.

Sara said...

My favorite quotes didn't make your list..I use them all the time.

"yada, yada, yada.." --Jerry Seinfeld

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." --Steven King, The Shawshank Redemption

--Sara

Kyle Burkholder said...

"like throwing rocks on a sunny day."

fond memories. it would still work. i actually went in a coffee shop in south africa that let people write on the walls. not quite the same, but i could have sat there for hours.

love ya.