2.03.2008

From Non-Violence And Civil Rights To Brutality As A Form Of Global Entertainment

in the past 24 hours, i've watched 2 amazing stories unfold on television... and those 2 things would be the movie "gandhi" and super bowl XLII. that's right, you read that last line correctly...i just compared one of the most selfless men to ever walk to face of the earth with a silly football game! but, what sticks out to me is that there's important lessons to be learned in all things, not just deep and impactful events.

in the movie "gandhi", you can't help but be moved and humbled by watching the story of a man who gave up everything he had to stand up for what he felt was right. through countless beatings, multiple imprisionments and near death through fasting, gandhi never waivered and never lost sight of the way to live. he could have sat back and gone about his day for the betterment of himself, but instead he dedicated his entire life for all his people, even if it meant dying for his cause. he was a living symbol of determination and a reminder to all of us that life could always be much harder.

now, on the opposite end of the spectrum, super bowl XLII was an event full of glitz, glamour, inflated egos and fat paychecks. in other words, not gandhi. there was some ridiculously big production thing with the reading of the declaration of independence by current and former players and coaches and a couple of their wives. there was a fly-bye of like 6 or 7 military planes; but i'm not sure why; seeing as the retractable roof was closed and all. i guess someone just wanted to waste a few hundred thousand taxpayer dollars. the halftime show featuring tom petty was large, over the top and entertaining. the new york giants played an amazing game, tom brady was knocked down about 2,582 times, david tyree made one of the most amazing catches that i've ever seen, eli manning finally got the recognation he deserved as a premier quarterback and the patriots head coach bill belichick looked like a complete jerk by leaving the field with 1 second remaing and giving a rude and sarcastic post-game interview. and in all, pretty much what i'd like to see in a super bowl and a game that i'll remember for quite some time.

so, to sum it up...there was fighting, hitting, fasting, pain, victory, defeat, walking, death, joy, crying and love. like i said, an amazing 24 hours!

5 comments:

Sara said...

Jeff, interesting how you linked those 2 together.

I didn't watch the Super Bowl, probably one of the few nerds who chose not to. I knew I would hear all about it on Monday so I figured it wasn't so big of a loss.

One of the things I gave up this past year is television. I had to or I would have gotten so sucked into tv time and not much else.

Can i just say, a bunch of guys running around in tight pants and knocking each other over for a ball is just beyond me? AND the money they receive for doing so is just unreal.

Not to take away from your weekend fun, though. :)

We can all take a lesson from Ghandi. Peace is awesome. Serenity is fabulous.

--Sara

Jeff Reininger said...

Sara,

I couldn't agree more. the amount of money generated for and from these tight panted men is ridicilous! but, what can i do about it? i didn't attend the game and buy a $2,000 ticket or rush out and buy a pepsi (an advertisment that each national company spent $2.7 million for). sports use to be my life (along with many other vices), but that's no longer the case.

I can't even imagine no longer watching tv. I only see about 2 hours a week (not including the news that I fall asleep to each night). hey, you never know when I'll be thrown into the middle of the amazon to live on my own, I'll count on those lessons learned on Survivorman.

As for Gandhi, he shows that one man can change the world. But then again, I no longer vote for president, because i don't belive my vote even matters! how about linking those 2 things together!!!

ry@n said...

well written my friend

I love the dialogue by the way sara and jeff.

ryan

Sara said...

Jeff,
I am with you on the President thing. I am SO jaded when it comes to politics. Mainly, because I know my God is bigger than all of that!!

AND, I do believe one person can change the world with their actions/beliefs. Look at our example, Christ. Ghandi was Christ-like. I watched that movie and thought over and over about how Christ was all over the story.

You and I need to meet one day, over coffee or something equally fabulus and talk in person.

No tv gives me more time to read or do other things. (Like read blogs!)

By the way, I love the Budweiser Rocky commercial. No, I didnt' watch the super bowl but caught that one.

Have a fabulous day, my friend!

(and the same for you, Ryan!!)

-Sara (the blog lurker)

archie said...

Mahatma Gandhi
Date of birth: October 2, 1869 (1869-10-02)
Place of birth: British India
Date of death: January 30, 1948 (aged 78)
Place of death: New Delhi, India
Religion: Hinduism
Spending Eternity: Location unknown

I wonder if He became a believer before or after January 30, 1948?