5.28.2008

With A Shrug Of The Shoulders

why do we do the things we do?
why do we spend our whole lives working so hard
doing things that bring us no joy?
when is enough, enough?
how long must we go on feeling like the world's weight
is pressing down on our shoulders?
when will the stressed,
worn-out feeling stop?
when will we catch our breath?
when will the 40+ hours all seem worth it?
what keeps us where we are?
laziness? money? fear?
outside pressure of what others may say?
lack of focus? no clue what it is that'll make a difference?
what will bring us joy?
"no idea?", we all say,
with a shrug of the shoulders...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

i accidentally deleted my post...i don't even know how...

basically my last comment said that i was talking with someone about how this is the way my dad leads his life. 80 hour work weeks... for what? for me? cuz i don't want it! i would trade everything in the world to spend more time with him. and what has made him this way? maybe mine...maybe my mom's...who knows? however he got this way is irrelevant...all i know is, he is tired.

anywho this one really rang true for me today. maybe a little too true...

thanks for writing...

pittolive said...

Nice. I've been on a pathway to rekindle joy because I have lost a lot of it and it is a hard thing. I to have been working an insane number of hours in order to meet inappropriate deadlines, however my motivation is to protect my boss's job. The cost? not much time with my wife, even less with the kids, responsibilities left undone. Is it worth it? If my job is worship to Him, if my family is an offerng to Him, which would He prefer? Only He can say well done my good and faithful servant.