7.01.2010

Thoughs on What Matters More

I recently watched this video (click here) which was linked from the Amplify Facebook Fan Page (click here). Yes, while the Facebook post did ask for our thoughts on the song, what followed was not much more than some Christians debating with each other over the musical content, the use of the word “shit” in the lyrics, and some thoughts on homosexuality. Perhaps that did satisfy the question at hand, and their thoughts that stirred from the song….but it didn’t satisfy mine. I woke up in the middle of the night with thoughts swirling around in my head about this song, and what I feel the true meaning is. Here are the thoughts that I wrote down on my phone at 3am. And remember, wherever there is a “we”, the “me” is most definitely implied.

Loving thoughts and great intentions are worthless unless they lead to action. Debating is over-rated, because while details are being fought over, the point of the Gospel is being neglected. Go out and do (Matthew 28:19), there is no room for debate over that. While points are being pushed and thoughts are being revealed over the artists’ use of the word “shit”, and the music resembling that of ‘The Postal Service’, 50,000 are dying. Isn’t that the real point!? This song wasn’t written so Christians could sit around in their little circles and talk about the meaning of it all, meanwhile, the rest of the world continues on just as it is. Isn’t this song a call for us to collectively put our money where our mouths are, and go out and tell others about Jesus (when is the last time we dined with the ‘tax collector’?), not sit around with others just like us and discuss earthly things that will fail? How often do we go hours or days without asking God what we can do to glorify Him (Matthew 25: 31-46)? Do our friends, family, classmates and coworkers really know who we are, or do they have a better understanding of the person we outwardly portray on a daily basis than we do (Matthew 7: 1-5)? Are we simply fooling ourselves by thinking that our intentions are glorifying to Him (Ephesians 2: 1-10)?

So, there was my 3am slap in the face. Hope it stirs you into action as much as it does me. I welcome your thoughts, but don’t debate with me…there’s no time for that.

3 comments:

jose said...

Great thoughts, my friend! Glad you posted this.

Caleb said...

I agree with you, Jeff. Really, I do. In fact, I'm right there with you. The "we" you speak about includes me, too. But honestly, bud, you can't have your cake and eat it, too. This isn't make-it-take-it. You can't really give your thoughts in a discussion about something and then say, "don't debate me." That's kind of silly and just unfair. It was an open call for opinions, not a bait-and-switch where we play holier-than-thou on the people who answered the question.

Also, I think it's kind of ironic that the guy who doesn't like so much discussion on the topic is losing sleep over it. And then posting about it on his blog. After I put my response on Facebook, I slept like a baby.

Anyway, good points all around. At least somebody put scripture into the topic!

Jeff Reininger said...

I wasn't saying "please don't comment". My point is that I already know Jesus, don't waste your words or time on me. There are so many people that we know (hopefully) who need Him. Go, speak to them.