2.02.2010

South Africa - Running Diary - Part V

I lazily attempted to keep a running diary of my daily events during our trip to South Africa. What follows below is that lazy attempt. The words in quotes are the actual things I wrote in my journal, followed by a brief description (if necessary) to describe the words I wrote and the significance behind them. Whenever possible, I tried to document the time (local time depending on what time zone I was in) at which these events occurred. Hope that makes at least some sense…enjoy.

Wednesday, January 20th – 5:35 pm:
“If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done” This is a line from the Pearl Jam song ‘Down’, and it really has been a catch phrase for my life so many times. I know that I’ve been in some dark places in my life, unable to see a way out of the mess that I had gotten myself into, but for some reason, God found me worthy of rescue…and if He can rescue me, He can rescue anyone…I truly believe that. Through Him, all things really are possible. After a day of mind numbing and truly humbling experiences, I jotted down this phrase in my journal, because I needed to remind myself of that hope.

Wednesday, January 20th – 7:45 pm:
“African BBQ.” We had quite a gathering at the house that night for an authentic African braai (pronounced bry, Afrikaans for barbeque). Pastor Willie grilled lamb chops, steaks, and sausage. Beauty showed the women on the trip how to make pap (pronounced pop), which is essentially a thick porridge that you eat with your hands, and us men did what men in South Africa do, we played soccer. When the food was ready, we all gathered around, prayed and dug in. This meal was delicious, to say the least. As I sat outside surrounded by the entire group, everyone eating their food, I saw this weird sense of reality slowly start to sink in with most everyone. I could see people’s minds racing, processing what all they had seen that day…mostly they people in the squatter camp that would go hungry that night. I could see a new sense of gratitude, and perhaps even a feeling of guilt with each bite of steak and pap. A full plate and satisfied stomach began to take on a different meaning for many people that night…

Thursday, January 21st – 7:40 am:
“Three more children at school today.” On our way to a local elementary school, three young boys yelled out ‘pastor, pastor, pastor’, as our van flew past them. Willie stopped the van, put it in reverse, backed up, stopped and instructed us to open the door. As we did, these three young boys hopped into the van as we quickly pulled away. We drove with them a couple blocks to our destination, all the while, Willie talked with them, asking each how they were doing. Each boy replied to his questions in a polite manner, grateful for the ride. We arrived at the school, and they flew out of the van and into the classroom building. We quickly unloaded the van and make our way into the school audition to meet with these children. We sang some songs with them, Katy shared a few words with them on what God had done in her life, and what He could do in theirs, and in a flash, we were off again. What amazed me the most about this instance, it that it apparently happened all the time. When Willie drove that van around, people noticed. He would honk and wave at people as he flew past them. He would talk with people at stop signs or red lights. He was known in his community…to all people. To the women, to the children in the squatter camps and schools, to the drunken men on the sidewalk, he was known. And if they knew Willie, they had heard about Jesus. Willie didn’t miss an opportunity to speak the Gospel…in fact he drove around looking for new people to share it with…

Thursday, January 21st – 8:55 am:
“75+ young men awaiting their sentence.” Again at the Joburg Prison, this time in a bit of a different environment. There were 75 or so young men (most between 18-21 years old) all waiting to stand trial for their crimes. Some of their cases had been pending for several years. To say the look on these men’s faces was ‘scared’ would be an understatement. They were nervous and lost. As we sang and spoke to them, it felt like we were still in one of the elementary schools. Their eyes were young and glued to our every word. With so much still uncertain in their life, they wanted to believe in something. I was given another opportunity to speak, and I didn’t lose sight of the moment. God’s words flowed through me as I spoke the truth to these men. In the end, nearly all these young men surrendered their lives to Christ that morning…it was an amazing scene. Regardless of their fate within those walls, the truth had set them free!

Thursday, January 21st – 11:25 am:
“Nachos and wings.” Not much to say about this, besides the fact that Katy and I traveled 10,000 miles to eat nachos and wings! We all went out to eat at a nice restaurant called Catz Pjyamas…I had been craving tortillas and Mexican food all week, so when the opportunity arose, I took it. Wings were exceptional, nachos were satisfactory. Funny how you don’t notice the little pleasures in life until they’re gone. Moral of the story, Mexican food is good!

Thursday, January 21st – 2:20 – 2:40 pm:
“20 well deserved minutes.” I had a very refreshing 20 minute nap. By this point, I was running on fumes (as was everyone else)…and after a full meal of wings and nachos, my belly was craving some rest as well. Once I woke up, productivity returned to my life…

Thursday, January 21st – 5:50 pm:
“Not about our ‘tourist’ desires.” We ate at McDonald’s again for dinner…which was quite alright with me…but I got a sense of a couple others grumbling over this. After all, we could always have a Big Mac, but it’s not everyday you get to eat like the Africans do, right!? Well, the reality is many, many, many men, women and children within a 5 minute walk from us we’re going hungry that night…so if they truly wanted to eat like the people of the land, they would have thrown their nuggets and fries in the trash. Thankful for His provision…

No comments: