1.28.2010

South Africa - Running Diary - Part II

I lazily attempted to keep a running diary of my daily events during our trip to South Africa. What follows below is that lazy attempt. The words in quotes are the actual things I wrote in my journal, followed by a brief description (if necessary) to describe the words I wrote and the significance behind them. Whenever possible, I tried to document the time (local time depending on what time zone I was in) at which these events occurred. Hope that makes at least some sense…enjoy.

Monday, January 18th – 9:15 am: “Men of God in orange jump suits.” Our first full day of ministry took us first to the Johannesburg Correctional Centre. We were to worship with and talk to men serving life sentences in the Maximum Security area of the Joburg Prison. These 50 or so men in this room blew me away…their ability to cry out to God and worship Him in spite of their circumstances was definitely the first of many humbling moments on this trip. Their voices sang out for 35 minutes straight, all singing in unison, harmony and praise to God. Our attempt to follow them with a guitar and 12 voices was near humorous. On top of this, I got to share my story with these men. I wasn’t sure how my journey would be able to reach them and impact them in their current living situation, but God gave me the words to speak to them, and these words had them intrigued. It was a very freeing moment to open up and share all that God has done in my life, in spite of how I fought him for so long. Was able to speak to several of them individually afterward…their faith in God is amazingly strong.

Monday, January 18th – 10:40 am: “Pastor Willie might just be the greatest man I’ve ever met.” Simply stated, this man never stops speaking Jesus and seeking all. I don’t think he knows what ‘uncomfortable’ means. He truly understands his call too seek ALL people, not just those that are convenient. Seeing this lived out on a daily basis challenges me to distance me from my comfort zone as well.

Monday, January 18th – 3:10 pm: “Joe Slovo Squatter Camp – Amazing.” I can’t believe people have to pay to live here. If I ever complain again about silly things, someone needs to punch me in the face. On top of these living conditions that simply have to be seen to fully understand (photos come no where near comprehending), these children blow me away…they find joy even in the worst of conditions. Smiles abound even without things we take for granted (indoor plumbing, air conditioning, heating, bedrooms, beds…)

Monday, January 18th – 6:50 pm: “Dinner at News Cafe – “JalapeƱo Cheese Burger w/ a side of tears.” We all sat a nice restaurant eating delicious and satisfying food, all the while everyone’s faces were heavy…thoughts were stirring in our heads. Through the occasional jokes and laughter, we all were in process of the things we had witnessed so far that day…the men who loved God more than life, even though they would never see freedom again, the children who were able to smile at us in spite of their living conditions and empty bellies, and Beauty. As Stefani told us the amazing story that is their (now our) friend Beauty’s life, tears ran down our faces. Joke as we may that it was dusty in the room or that our food was very spicy, we all knew the real reason for the tears…we were all witnesses of a woman’s love in spite of the obstacles she has to face on a daily basis.

Monday, January 18th – 7:15 pm: “First offer to use internet – Immediately declined the offer.” I was loving the disconnect. I didn’t know who won the NFL playoff games, who had sent me emails or Facebook messages, and I was greatly enjoying the disconnect. I really enjoyed not knowing the happenings in the world for 10 days. Funny how insignificant pop culture can be…and how until recently I never would have thought that would be true.

Monday, January 18th – 9:20 pm: “Broken, inspired, responsible people are ready to charge on for God.” Kyle has always said that once you’ve witnessed something, you’re responsible. We were all starting to understand that concept by night one. Perhaps the quote of the day goes to Jonathan for saying “Kids dancing barefoot on broken glass next to a pile of burning garbage.” Let those words sink in for a moment. We all witnessed that on Monday, and we are all now responsible.

No comments: